Historic Photos of Winston-Salem
In 1766, Moravian settlers, most having migrated to the Crown colony of North Carolina from Pennsylvania, established the town of Salem. Over eight decades, Salem became a key transportation nexus for both east-west and north-south traffic, yet never lost its Moravian trappings. In 1849, North Carolina established Forsyth County and incorporated Winston as its county seat. In the aftermath of the Civil War, this virtually undamaged region of the state began a rapid period of industrial and economic development, spurred by the pungent aroma of Bright Leaf tobacco. Population growth accompanied prosperity, and in 1913, the towns merged into a single municipality: Winston-Salem.
In 2005, Winston-Salem boasted an estimated population of over 200,000, making it the fifth largest city in North Carolina. Its history is as diverse as the two towns from which it arose, one steeped in religious values and the other born from political expediency. This volume captures that diverse history in word and photographic image, a tribute to citizens, past and present, of the fine city of Winston-Salem.